We believe and profess one catholic or universal church,1 which is a holy congregation and assembly2 of the true Christian believers, who expect their entire salvation in Jesus Christ,3 are washed by His blood, and are sanctified and sealed by the Holy Spirit.4
This church has existed from the beginning of the world and will be to the end, for Christ is an eternal King who cannot be without subjects.5 This holy church is preserved by God against the fury of the whole world,6 although for a while it may look very small and as extinct in the eyes of man.7 Thus during the perilous reign of Ahab, the Lord kept for Himself seven thousand persons who had not bowed their knees to Baal.8
Moreover, this holy church is not confined or limited to one particular place or to certain persons, but is spread and dispersed throughout the entire world.9 Yet, it is joined and united with heart and will, in one and the same Spirit, by the power of faith.10
- 1 Gen 22:18; Is 49:6; Eph 2:17-19.
- 2 Ps 111:1; Jn 10:14, 16; Eph 4:3-6; Heb 12:22, 23.
- 3 Joel 2:32; Acts 2:21.
- 4 Eph 1:13; Eph 4:30.
- 5 2 Sam 7:16; Ps 89:36; Ps 110:4; Mt 28:18, 20; Lk 1:32.
- 6 Ps 46:5; Mt 16:18.
- 7 Is 1:9; 1 Pet 3:20; Rev 11:7.
- 8 1 Kings 19:18; Rom 11:4.
- 9 Mt 23:8; Jn 4:21-23; Rom 10:12, 13.
- 10 Ps 119:63; Acts 4:32; Eph 4:4.